The first Sterett, DD-27 (1910 -1919)

The first USS Sterett was a three stack, modified Paulding class destroyer, often referred to as "flivvers". She was 293 feet long with a 26 foot beam and 16 foot draft. DD-27 displaced 742 tons. Her oil-fired 12,000 shp (shaft horse power) power plant consisted of four boilers driving twin screws via steam turbines. STERETT had a top speed of 29.5 knots and carried a crew of four officers and 82 enlisted men. STERETT was armed with five three-inch guns, three .50 caliber machine guns and six 18-inch torpedo tubes. Her distinctive three funnels distinguished her from the rest of the four funnel destroyers of the time.
Click For More Photos - DD-27 NAVAL HISTORICAL CENTER
DD-27 History
Commissioned 15-Dec-1910
Decommissioned 9-Dec-1919
Stricken on 8-Mar-1935
Length:293ft
Beam:26ft
Draft:8ft
Propulsion:oil burner
Speed:30.37 kn (34.95 mph; 56.25 km/h)
Keel laid: 22-Mar-1909
Builder: Fore River Shipbuilding Company, Quincy, MA.

Commanding Officers
LCDR Robert Lawrence Berry15 Dec 1910 - 4 Jul 1911
LCDR Frank Robert McCrary4 Jul 1911 - 1913
LTJG Harry Booth Hird? 1913 - ?
LT Thomas Leigh Gatch May 1919 - Junel 1919

Read local news coverage at the time of the DD-27 Christening Centennial

Quincy Daily Ledger, Two-days prior to launch

+ 10-May-1910 (open story)
On the Centennial of the Launching of the first USS Sterett DD27 on 12 May 1910
Story in the 10 May 1910 Quincy Daily Ledger - Two days prior.
PLANS FOR LAUNCHING
The Sterett an Ocean Going Destroyer Preparations for the launch of the torpedo boat destroyer Sterett at the Fore River shipyard Thursday morning are practically completed. The vessel will be launched at 11:30, and will be christened by Dorothy Rosallie Gittings of Baltimore, a daughter of a prominent banker of that city, and a direct descendent of Commodore Sterett, for whom the vessel is named. Miss Gittings and the Baltimore party will make their headquarters at the Vendome. (hotel in Boston). Thursday morning they will come to the Fore River on a special train that will leave South Station at 10 o'clock. This train will be run directly to the Fore River yards. Immediate after the launch, a lunch will be served in the mold loft where there will be some speaking The Sterett is the sister ship of the Perkins launched last month. She is 293feet, 10" inches overall and 26feet 4" inches moulded breadth. Her battery will consist of five 3-inch guns, three 45 c-m torpedo tubes on deck and two .30 caliber automatic guns.

The Sterett, like her sister ship, is notable in being the pioneer of a new enlarged type of ocean going destroyers capable of keeping at sea with the battle fleet, and it is interesting to note that since these vessels were designed, the first class naval powers have followed suit in laying down vessels of similar type.

Her motive power will be two Cur-reversible marine turbines, capable of of developing 6,000 horse power each, at about 600 revolutions, and will give the vessel a speed of 29 ½ knots per hour.

The vessel is flush decked, fore and aft, with a top gal'ant forecastle, giving a high platform for the forward gun with a good height for conning tower and steering station, while contributing to the seagoing qualities of the ship.

The captain's and officers' staterooms, wardrooms, and conveniences are arranged in the forecastle while the berth deck immediately below these are quarters for part of the petty officers and crew, the remainder being berthed aft.

Close

Quincy Daily Ledger, The Day Of Her Launch

+ 12-May-1910 Excerpts from front page headline story (open story)

ANOTHER U.S. DESTROYER CHRISTENED TODAY

Miss Dorothy Rosalie Gittings Sponsor for the Sterett
Miss Gittings, who is a direct descendent of Commodore Sterett, arrived in Boston from Baltimore on Wednesday and registered at the Vendome. She was accompanied by her father. This A.M. the official Launching party came to the Fore River in a special train, which left the South Station at 10 o'clock. This train was run to Braintree and thence over the Fore River tracks to the yard, landing guests within a few feet of the green painted hull of the destroyer
***
Suspended from her bow was a long tri-colored ribbon at the end of which was a bottle of Mumm's extra dry, with which the vessel was to be given her name. This bottle of wine was encased in a silver mesh so that the glass would not fly when broken.

Owing to the lateness of the tide, the launch did not take place as early as scheduled, and it was a little after noon she was in the water. Preparations for the launch were begun shortly after the party arrived and the merry tap, tap of several hundred hammers announced to the watching crowd that the launch was under way. Then came a shrill whistle and every hammer stopped at an instant. Then there was a pause while the keel blocks were being split away,

All was now in readiness. Nothing remained but to saw away the two soul pieces, the last links that held the destroyer on the ways. With a hasty glance to see that all was in readiness the signal was given and a minute later the saws had made their way through the planking and with a cracking sound the vessel began to move.

Slowly at first, but gaining speed at every foot. As she began to move, Miss Gittings hit her steel bow a sharp blow with the bottle, and the sparkling wine ran down the side of the destroyer, she cried out, "I christen thee Sterett."

This was a signal for the crowd on the launching stand and in the yards to cheer, which was taken up by the whistles in the yard and craft on the river, while the hundreds gathered on the shore of the river also cheered as, with a splash, the Sterett entered the water.

Tugs immediately came alongside and took her to the fitting out dock to a berth alongside her sister ship "Perkins" where she will be completed.

Close

History of DD-27, The Ship (WIKI)


+ USS Sterett (DD-27)