This Association is a non-profit organization incorporated and registered with the State of Colorado. This is an association of those who are former members of any United States Ship bearing the name of Sterett. Also included in the membership are friends and family members of Sterett, interested in seeing that the history and traditions of the Sterett are preserved. Operation of the Association is governed by a set of by-laws and it’s elected and appointed officers. Elected officers are restricted to being former crewmen of any of the ships named USS STERETT (DD 27, DD 407, DLG/CG 31 and DDG 104).
The inception of the association was due to the efforts of Dave Wolf and Elden Miller who served aboard Sterett in the late 1960s and early 1970s. These two shipmates wanted to get together with some of their shipmates who served with them over 25 years before. A list and search were started along with an information website, started by Elden Miller. The end result was a formal reunion that included almost 50 former shipmates. The USS STERETT Association was officially formed at that reunion held in Aurora, Colorado on June 19-21, 1998. At that time a business meeting was held and a vote to form the Association passed by an overwhelming majority. In April of 1999, the association became an officially registered non-profit organization by the State of Colorado. A copy of the Association’s Bylaws is available by joining the Association here.
Past Association Reunions:
- 2001 – Longmont, Colorado (15-17 June).
- 2003 – Silverdale, Washington (15-17 August). Near Bremerton where DLG-31 was built.
- 2005 – Baltimore, Maryland (23-26 June). Lt. Andrew Sterett’s hometown and home port.
- 2007 – Portland, Maine (17-20 May). Coinciding with the Christening of the new Sterett DDG-104 in nearby Bath Iron Works Shipyard.
- 2008 – Baltimore, Maryland (8 August). Not an official reunion but the Association participated in the planning and sponsorship of the DDG-104 Commissioning in Baltimore. Over 60 members were in attendance.
- 2009 – San Diego, California (25-27 September). The first homeport of the new Sterett DDG-104, which offered the opportunity for the active-duty DDG-104 crew to join the reunion, and Sterett Shipmates and guests to tour the ship.
- 2011 – Biloxi, Mississippi (20-22 May). After holding Reunions on the East and West Coasts, this was a great choice of location on the Gulf Coast. WLOX TV Report 1 and WLOX TV Report 2.
- 2013 – Branson, Missouri (11-13 October). A centrally located popular destination widely known for its wholesome, family-friendly atmosphere, along with its pride in our veterans, and with a mild climate and four seasons, an affordable year-round recreation.
- 2015 – Tacoma Washington (17-20 September). A return close to the birthplace of the DLG-31 and in the shadow of Mt. Rainier. Remarks by Captain Richard P. Genet.
- 2017 – Nashville, Tennessee (22-25 June). A down-home good time was had by a record-breaking turnout in “Music City, U.S.A.”
- 2019 – Jacksonville, Florida (19-22 September). The San Miguel sacrifice kept the storms away and we broke another attendance record.
- 2021 – San Antonio, Texas (16-19 September). Visit the reunion page.
The operation of the Sterett Association is entirely supported by donations and membership dues. Management of the association is performed entirely by volunteers and unpaid officers, elected at business meetings held at each reunion. The association maintains a web presence for the purpose of locating and contacting former shipmates and friends, to support communication of Association activities, events, and news of interest to former shipmates and website visitors wanting to learn about the Sterett ships, their crews, and heritage.